Even after paying the ever-rising premiums, many Americans fi nd themselves struggling to pay expenses their health insurance doesn’t cover in the event of a critical illness. That’s not surprising, given the increasing costs of treatment, care, copayments and deductibles.
Average family premiums have increased at least twice as fast as wages since 2010.1
of covered workers have a high
Even with health insurance that provides 80% coverage, the remaining 20% for a major surgery can exceed $100,000.3
of cancer patients and their families estimated spending more than $20,000 each year in total out-of-pocket costs.4
Patients with heart disease typically have out-of-pocket costs of more than $2,000 per year.5
of people who file for bankruptcy cite medical issues as a key contributor to their
Cancer 1.8 million new patients a year.7
Stroke 795,000 cases a year.8
Major organ transplant 36,000 a year.9
Kidney failure 750,000 cases a year.10
Meeting the minimum family deductible of a highdeductible health plan, with up to $2,200 left over.11
A treadmill to help with rehabilitation.12
Uber rides to health care appointments.13
Home visits with a registered dietitian.14
Ask your Aflac representative for more information about critical illness options for your employees.
Companies choose to make Aflac policies available to increase benefits options without impacting their bottom line.
1 Kaiser Family Foundation. “Average Family Premiums Rose 4% to $21,342 in 2020, Benchmark KFF Employer Health Benefi t Survey Finds.” Published 10.8.2020. Accessed 1.14.2021.
2 Kaiser Family Foundation. “2020 Employer Health Benefi ts Survey.” Published 10.8.2020. Accessed 9.10.21.
3 Debt.org. “Hospital and surgery costs.” Updated Feb. 26, 2021. Accessed 4.19.21
4 Public Payers News. “Cost of Cancer Care Reaches Nearly $150B Nationally.” Published Jan. 15, 2020. Accessed 4.16.21
5 Reuters. “Almost half of U.S. heart disease patients struggle with medical bills.” Published Feb. 11, 2019. Accessed 4.16.21
6 CNBC.com. “This is the real reason most Americans fi le for bankruptcy.” Published Mon., Feb. 11, 2019, 11:32 A.M. EST. Accessed 4.16.21
7 National Cancer Institute. “Cancer Statistics.” Published 2020. Accessed 1.15.2021.
8 CDC. Stroke Facts. Accessed 1.21.2021.
9 UNOS. “Organ Transplants in United States Set Sixth Consecutive Record in 2018.” Published 1.8.2019. Accessed 1.15.2021.
10 University of California San Francisco. “The Kidney Project: Statistics.” Published 2019. Accessed 1.21.2021.
11 HealthCare.gov. “High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).” Updated for 2020. Accessed 1.14.2021.
12 Based on prices for RehabMill Treadmill ($3,899), L7 Rehabilitation Treadmill ($4,499) and TR7000i Commercial Treadmill ($3,262).
13 Based on 2019 national average, $25.37 per ride. Statista. “Average Quarterly Cost Per Ride of Ridesharing Services in the United States from 2017 to 2019.” Published 12.8.2020. Accessed 1.14.2021.
14 Based on $150 per session fee. Fees vary widely; this fi gure is on the higher end. CostHelper Health. “Nutritionist Cost.” Accessed 1.14.2021.
This is a brief product overview only. The plan has limitations and exclusions that affect benefi ts payable. Refer to the plan for complete details.
Continental American Insurance Company (CAIC), a proud member of the Afl ac family of insurers, is a whollyowned subsidiary of Afl ac Incorporated and underwrites group coverage. CAIC is not licensed to solicit business in New York, Guam, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. For groups sitused in California, group coverage is underwritten by Continental American Life Insurance Company. For groups sitused in New York, coverage is underwritten by Afl ac of New York. Continental American Insurance Company | Columbia, SC