Accordingly, we strive to comply with each of the following practices in everything we do:
- We do not sell, rent, lease or otherwise disclose personal information of our customers for purposes unrelated to our products and services. The personal information of our customers is of paramount importance to us. Therefore, we provide this information only to our employees, agents and third parties as required to allow them to help us develop and provide our insurance and employee benefit products and services.
- We work to ensure information integrity and security. We use technology tools and design our business practices to help ensure that the personal information of our customers is properly gathered, stored and processed. We also work to maintain the security of, and internal and external access to, the personal information of our customers through the use of technology and our business practices.
- We expect our agents and employees to respect the personal information of our customers. Aflac has business policies and practices in place to help ensure that our employees and agents carry out these practices and otherwise protect personal information about our customers. Both employees and agents are subject to censure, dismissal, or termination for violation of these policies.
These Privacy Practices apply to our U.S. customers. Due to legal and cultural differences, our practices may vary outside the United States.
Aflac and our agents provide this notice to let you know about the current privacy practices of Aflac and our agents. You do not need to do anything in response to this notice. This notice is merely to inform you about how we safeguard your information.
Collection of Information
As part of Aflac's normal underwriting and operating procedures, Aflac (and our agents acting on our behalf) needs to obtain information to determine an individual's eligibility for our products and services, and to perform our insurance functions. Aflac and our agents may collect nonpublic personal information (which includes both nonpublic personal financial information and nonpublic personal health information) about Aflac's customers, including:
- Information from our customers (including names, addresses, financial and health information).
- Information about the customers' transactions with Aflac or our agents (including claims and payment information).
- Information from consumer reporting agencies (including creditworthiness and credit history); motor vehicle records agencies (including accident reports and violations); investigators (including information regarding general character and participation in hazardous activities); insurance support organizations such as the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (including claims, and health and insurance application histories); and the customers' health care providers (including health history), employers (including salary and benefits information), and family members.
Disclosure of Information
Aflac may disclose the nonpublic personal financial information we collect, as described above, as well as information about your transactions with us (such as your policy coverage, premiums, and payment history) to our agents or other third parties who perform services or functions on our behalf, including in some circumstances the marketing of Aflac products We may also disclose the nonpublic personal financial information we collect to other third parties as authorized by you, or as required or permitted by law.
Our agents will make disclosures of our customers' nonpublic personal financial information only while acting on Aflac's behalf and, furthermore, will make such disclosures only as Aflac itself is permitted to make.
Neither Aflac nor our agents will use or share with other parties any nonpublic personal health information about Aflac customers for any purpose other than disclosures for the performance of insurance functions by Aflac or on our behalf, disclosures that are permitted or required by law, or disclosures that the customer has authorized.
Neither Aflac nor our agents will further disclose any nonpublic personal information about a former customer of Aflac other than as may be required or permitted by law.
Confidentiality and Security
Aflac and our agents will safeguard, according to strict standards of security and confidentiality, any information we collect, receive or maintain about Aflac's customers. Aflac maintains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to ensure the security and confidentiality of our customer information and records, to protect against anticipated threats or hazards to such records, and to protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information or records.
Internally, Aflac limits access to our customers' information to only those employees who need access to the information to perform their job functions. Employees who misuse information are subject to disciplinary actions. Externally, we do not disclose customer information to any third parties unless we have previously informed the customer of the disclosure, have been authorized to do so by the customer, or are required or permitted to make the disclosure by law or our regulators.
NOTICE OF INFORMATION PRACTICES
Arizona, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, and Virginia require insurers and agents to describe their information practices in addition to providing a Privacy Notice. There is significant overlap between the two notices, but in general our Information Practices include the following: Aflac may obtain information about you and any other persons proposed for insurance. Some of this information will come from you and some may come from other sources. That information and any other subsequent information collected by Aflac may in some circumstances be disclosed to third parties without your specific consent. Residents of these states have the right to access and correct the information collected about them except information that relates to a claim or to a civil or criminal proceeding. They also have the right to receive the specific reason for an adverse underwriting decision in writing. If you wish to have a more detailed explanation of our information practices required by your state, please submit a written request to: Aflac Worldwide Headquarters, ATTN: Client Services, 1932 Wynnton Road, Columbus, Georgia 31999.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES – PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
If you would like a copy of Aflac's Notice of Privacy Practices – Protected Health Information issued pursuant to the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), copies are available by sending a written request to: Aflac Worldwide Headquarters, ATTN: Privacy Office, 1932 Wynnton Road, Columbus, Georgia 31999.