To reinforce the Aflac SmartGreen® philosophy and our goal of environmental stewardship, Aflac has implemented policies and procedures that guide our actions with respect to buildings, procurement, purchasing and waste prevention.
Operating and maintaining a building and its grounds can significantly affect the health of its occupants, as well as the environment. Aflac is dedicated to ensuring the health of individuals who work at and visit our facilities. At the same time, we are committed to making sure those facilities are comfortable and visually pleasing. In accordance with our Aflac SmartGreen building guidelines, we strictly govern:
- During the course of normal operations:
- HVAC maintenance practices.
- HVAC systems operations.
- Temperature settings and schedules.
- Sensors, thermostats and other devices.
- Indoor and exterior lighting usage and schedules.
- During all normal construction and demolition activities, as well as major renovations:
- Indoor air-quality management.
- Sustainable product sourcing.
- Use of local materials.
- Use of certified wood.
- Reuse of resources.
- Use of recycled content.
- Waste management.
Aflac purchases recycled content and environmentally preferred products whenever possible. Employees who make purchasing decisions are encouraged to consider the full life-cycle costs of products and services. In accordance with our Aflac SmartGreen procurement guidelines, we:
- Require the vendors, contractors, businesses and government agencies we work with to protect our environment through appropriate waste prevention, recycling, market development and use of recycled/recyclable materials.
- Serve as advocates within our communities to encourage waste prevention, the use of recycled/recyclable materials and recycling.
Our Aflac SmartGreen approach to purchasing means that, whenever possible, Aflac gives preference to products and materials that are:
- Recycled, salvaged, and/or rapidly renewable.
- Low in Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Content.
- Energy efficient.
All Aflac employees are encouraged to incorporate our Aflac SmartGreen practices into their daily activities. These include:
- Considering the durability and reparability of products prior to purchase.
- Conducting routine maintenance on products/equipment to increase their useful lives.
- Using duplex features on laser printers and copiers.
- Sending and storing information electronically when possible.