Last Updated: 8/16/2013
Our Commitment to Privacy
The Web sites located at the domain aflac.com are operated by Aflac* (referred to herein as Aflac, we, our, or us). Except as set forth below, this Web site Privacy Notice (Privacy Notice) applies to all services and sub-sites available under the domain name aflac.com.
At Aflac, we are sensitive to individuals’ concerns about their privacy. Our Privacy Notice was developed as an extension of our commitment to combine quality products and services with integrity in dealing with our users. The Privacy Notice is designed to assist you (referred to herein as you, your, or user) in understanding how we collect, use, and safeguard the Personal Information you provide to us and to assist you in making informed decisions when using our Web Sites and our products and services.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS PRIVACY NOTICE CAREFULLY BEFORE PROVIDING ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION THROUGH OUR WEB SITES. YOUR USE OF OUR WEB SITES SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE TERMS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE, PLEASE DO NOT USE OUR WEB SITES.
This Privacy Notice applies to information collected or gathered through the Web Sites only and does not necessarily reflect practices with respect to information collected or gathered through offline means or through other Web sites operated by associated divisions or affiliates of Aflac.
The Privacy Notice applies only to information we collect online from certain visitors to the Web Sites. The Privacy Notice does not apply to:
2. Communicorp, Inc.’s Web sites, which are governed by other privacy policies.
3. Visitors to aflac.com who are our agents or job applicants (you may submit a job application via aflac.com, and your information will be treated in accordance with Aflac’s employment application information policies).
1. Information we collect or gather
a. Personal Information.
At these Web Sites, we collect only Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us.
Personal Information includes any information that can be used to contact, identify, or locate you. This information may include your name, policy number, PIN, Social Security number, address, phone number, e-mail address, family member information, etc. Personal Information will not be collected from you without your knowledge. You may browse the Web Sites without revealing or providing any Personal Information. Providing Personal Information is always voluntary. We provide various forms that can be submitted at your discretion to request information and conduct transactions via the Web Sites. On each of the forms, we ask for information necessary to provide you with the information or service provided by the form and possibly certain other information that will assist us in providing better products and services to you. Information that is required is indicated on each of the forms by an asterisk (*). In addition to these forms, in the Policyholder Service Center portal, we ask for information necessary to provide you with certain information related to you or your policy. The Policyholder Service Center portal may also be used to make certain changes to your information, as discussed more specifically below.
- Product Information Request Form: You may submit this form to request information about Aflac’s products and services. You will receive an e-mail confirming your request and may be contacted by an Aflac agent via telephone or e-mail regarding your request.
- Aflac Policy Change/Customer Service Form: If you are a current Aflac customer, you may submit this form to change information concerning products you have purchased from Aflac. You may be contacted independently via telephone, e-mail, or U.S. mail to verify certain requested changes.
- Media Relations Form: If you are a member of the news media, you may submit this form to request an interview. You may be contacted via telephone or e-mail in response to such request.
- Benefit Services Form: You may submit this form to request information about policy benefits. You may be contacted via e-mail or telephone by someone in our Benefit Services department.
- Claims Contact Form: You may submit this form to our Claims department to request information about claims. You will be contacted via e-mail or telephone by someone in our Claims department.
- Investor Information Request Form: You may submit this form to request information about investment opportunities. You may be contacted via telephone or e-mail.
- Aflac Business Opportunity Request Form: You may submit this form to request information about agent sales opportunities with Aflac. You will receive an e-mail confirming your request and will be contacted by Aflac or one of its agents regarding your request.
- E-Mail Alert Service Registration Form: If you complete the E-Mail Alert Service Registration Form, you will receive e-mail alerts regarding new press releases posted to the Web Site(s).
- Billing and Fulfillment Information Form for Online Purchases (e.g., Duck Gear): If you would like to purchase Aflac promotional items, you may do so via aflac.com. To purchase promotional items, you may be required to provide us with your name, address, e-mail address, and credit card or debit card information. IN NO EVENT WILL WE STORE YOUR CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT CARD INFORMATION.
- Policyholder Service Center: You may access this part of the Web Sites to view and edit Personal Information; to create a PIN for your Policyholder Service Center account; to access policy and claim form documents; to view claims status; and/or to request change forms, Aflac handbooks, and manuals.
- Share Your Story: You may submit this form to tell us about your experience as an Aflac policyholder. We may contact you via e-mail or telephone to request permission to share your story with Aflac employees, other customers, and potential customers, or in response to a regulatory or legislative inquiry.
b. Nonpersonal Information
Although Aflac does not collect Personal Information from you at the Web Sites unless you provide it voluntarily, we do collect Nonpersonal Information (information that is compiled in anonymous and aggregate form and is not used to locate, contact, or identify you specifically). Our servers have an activity logging feature, which automatically captures Nonpersonal Information regarding site usage, pages viewed, applications used, files downloaded, browser type, the user’s Internet service provider (ISP), and the user’s type of computer operating system. We use Nonpersonal Information only for the purpose of maintaining and improving the Web Sites.
2. Cookies and how the Web Sites use them
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is received. (Each browser is different, so check the Help menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences). If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings of the Web Sites.
3. Disclosure of your information
Disclosure of Personal Information that we collect at the Web Sites is subject to our privacy practices and to this Privacy Notice. Accordingly, we will disclose Personal Information to employees, agents, or third parties only as described herein and:
1. To fulfill a transaction that you have requested on the Web Sites.
2. To service your policy.
3. To investigate or handle claims.
4. As permitted or required by law by regulatory and law enforcement authorities.
5. To enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions of Use and other agreements.
6. To protect the rights, property, or safety of Aflac, aflac.com, visitors to the Web Sites, or others.
Aflac, like many businesses, sometimes hires other companies to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf, such as hosting specific portions of the Web Sites. We may provide your Personal Information to vendors, service providers, and other third parties who assist us in providing the Web Sites, as well as the services and activities provided through the Web Sites. We will only provide the specific and particular Personal Information that a third party needs to perform its function. We require these third parties not to further disclose your Personal Information to any other third party or use it for any other purpose. We may provide your Personal Information to our noninsurance subsidiary, Communicorp, Inc., for purposes of fulfilling orders of products (such as duck gear) that you have purchased through the Web Sites and for communicating with you regarding those orders. WE DO NOT SELL YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION OR MEDICAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE.
If you are a policyholder of Aflac, Personal Information that you provide at the Web Sites may be combined with certain other information we have collected about you through our policy application/administration procedures. In addition, you will have received a Privacy Notice from us explaining how we protect the privacy and security of information you provide (please see HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices below). In addition, you can view a copy of Aflac’s Privacy Practices as they govern information obtained outside the Web Sites here.
If we sell or transfer certain assets or if Aflac or substantially all of its assets are acquired, Personal Information and Nonpersonal Information gathered at these Web Sites may be one of the transferred assets.
Please select your resident state:
4. HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule allows members the right to receive a notice that describes how individual health information may be used and/or disclosed and how to acquire access to this information. Aflac is fully committed to its compliance with the Privacy Rule of HIPAA in safeguarding sensitive, Personal Information about insureds, including identifiable health care and demographic data, referred to as Protected Health Information (PHI).
Aflac is federally mandated to send a notice (Notice of Privacy Practices) to its insureds. You should be aware that your state law may afford additional access and amendment rights to you which differ from those granted by HIPAA. If you would like additional information concerning the collection and disclosure of protected health information and your rights under state law to access and amend such information, it will be furnished upon request. Please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please select your resident state:
5. Security and protection of your information
We take the protection of your Personal Information very seriously. We use technology tools and design our business practices to help ensure that the Personal Information of our customers is properly gathered, stored, and processed. We secure your Personal Information submitted by you by using reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, or accidental loss or destruction. We also work to maintain the security of, and internal and external access to, the Personal Information of our customers through the use of technology and our business practices. However, there are no guarantees that unauthorized access will not occur. While we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any Personal Information that you transmit to us. Unless stated otherwise, Aflac cannot guarantee the security of any data submitted through the Internet by e-mail.
The Web Sites are considered general audience Web sites and are not intended to be used by children. The Web Sites are not directed toward children under the age of 13, and we do not use these Web Sites to knowingly solicit data from or market to children under the age of 13. The Web Sites do not sell products for purchase by children. In some instances, we may sell children’s products for purchase by adults (e.g., duck gear). No person under 13 years of age should disclose information on these Web Sites. If you are under 18, you may use these Web Sites only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. You may learn more about protecting children’s privacy by visiting ftc.gov/kidzprivacy. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time with their children online to be fully familiar with the Web Sites visited by their children.
7. Sites we link to
8. Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify or amend this Privacy Notice and Aflac’s privacy practices from time to time to update industry initiatives, changes in the law or technology, or changes in our practices regarding information collection and use. We will incorporate all material changes to this Privacy Notice and the privacy practices on this page and will post a notice of material changes on the Web Sites. We encourage you to review this page periodically for the most recent version. By continuing to use the Web Sites following such changes, you will be deemed to have agreed to such changes. If you do not agree with the terms of this Privacy Notice as it may be amended from time to time, in whole or in part, please do not continue using these Web Sites.
9. How you can access or correct your information
You can correct factual errors in your Personal Information by sending us a request (as provided under Section 10 of this Privacy Notice) that clearly shows the error that is to be corrected. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections. In addition, you may be prompted at certain times on the Web Sites to update and correct your Personal Information with us. It is your responsibility to keep the information that you provide to us current and accurate.
At certain places on the Web Sites, we may ask you if you are interested in learning more about Aflac’s products and services. If you elect to receive this information, we may use your e-mail address or mailing address to respond to your inquiry. You may always decline the option of receiving information from us about Aflac products and services. You may opt out of these mailings and other types of communications from us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Please note that additional measures may have to be followed to opt out of mailings and other communications received from agents who are not employees of Aflac.
You will not be able to opt out of receiving all types of communication, such as service announcements and administrative messages, as these types of information are a necessary part of your use of the Web Sites. Please note that modification of your account status or Personal Information will not stop communications generated by or on behalf of Aflac before Aflac can accomplish the modification of the status of your Personal Information. We reserve the right to retain Personal Information reasonably necessary to appropriately document our business activities, and for archival and record retention purposes.
10. How to contact Aflac with questions or comments
If you have questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone us at 1-800-992-3522, or write to us at Aflac Worldwide Headquarters, ATTN: Privacy Office, 1932 Wynnton Road, Columbus, Georgia 31999.
*Aflac includes American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus (Aflac) and its wholly owned subsidiary, American Family Life Assurance Company of New York (Aflac New York).