We can do a lot of good for the planet by being smart. The Aflac SmartGreen® philosophy influences our decision-making when choosing, using and disposing resources in an environmentally-conscience way. Although our environmental impact is minimal due to the nature of our business, we’re always looking for innovative ways to reduce that impact. As a leader in the supplemental insurance industry, we are dedicated to the health and well being of the people we serve and the environment.
- Our recycling rate in 2011 was 75.2 percent, compared to 72.2 percent in 2010. We recycle aluminum, plastic, office paper, cardboard, polystyrene, batteries, electronics and fluorescent light bulbs.*
- Polystyrene food containers are condensed using a densifier and are later recycled. We recycled almost 9,000 pounds of polystyrene in 2011.
- We’re listed on the FTSE4Good Index.
- As of January 2011, we had 727 physical servers and 1091 virtual servers to support our operations.
- Our data center received the prestigious Energy Star rating from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, making it only the 10th data center in the nation to become Energy Star-labeled.
- We installed an ORCA GreenTM Machine at our Customer Care Center to dispose of food waste. The machine disposes of up to 2,400 pounds of food waste a day by reducing it to gray water. We anticipate diverting up to 62,000 pounds of food waste annually from the local landfill.
- Our RideShare program cuts our carbon emissions by 3,456,000 pounds
- In one year our recycling program saves 1,296,467 pounds of paper
- By year’s end in 2012, 80% of Aflac-owned buildings will be Energy Star-rated.*
- Our Philosophy
- Goals and Accomplishments
- Policies and Procedures
- SmartGreen Successes
- Activism and Outreach