We can do a lot of good for the planet by being smart. The Aflac SmartGreen® philosophy influences our decision-making when choosing, using and disposing resources in an environmentally-conscience way. Although our environmental impact is minimal due to the nature of our business, we’re always looking for innovative ways to reduce that impact. As a leader in the supplemental insurance industry, we are dedicated to the health and well being of the people we serve and the environment.
- Aflac was included in the 2011/2012 Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) North America for the second time, and is among just three U.S. insurers on this prestigious list.
- Aflac has moved up 165 spots from its initial Newsweek Magazine, "Green Rankings 2009” ranking of 234 to 69 and is ranked No. 7 in the Environmental Impact category. Newsweek Magazine, "Green Rankings 2012," October 22, 2012.
- Aflac’s 2012 Green House Gas Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions were only 61% of its 2007 base year emissions.
- At the end of 2012, 84% of Aflac-owned Energy Star eligible buildings had achieved Energy Star certification.
- Aflac has reduced its electricity consumption by 35 percent per square foot since 2007 and is working to become ISO 50001 Energy Management System certified.
- Our data center was one of the first ten data centers in the U.S. to earn Energy Star certification.
- As of December 2012, 64 percent of our server environment was virtualized.
- In 2012, we implemented software to power down nearly 5,000 PC’s and monitors at all corporate offices at night to further reduce energy use.
- Our recycling rate in 2012 was 74 percent, compared to 72 percent in 2010. We recycle aluminum, plastic, office paper, cardboard, polystyrene, batteries, electronics and fluorescent light bulbs.
- Our recycling program diverted 850 tons from the landfill in 2012.
- Polystyrene food containers are condensed using a densifier and are later recycled. We recycled over 4,000 pounds of polystyrene in 2012.
- We installed an ORCA Green Machine at our Customer Care Center to dispose of food waste. The machine disposes of up to 240 pounds of food waste a day by reducing it to gray water. We anticipate diverting up to 40,000 pounds of food waste annually from the local landfill.
- Our Philosophy
- Goals and Accomplishments
- Policies and Procedures
- SmartGreen Successes
- Activism and Outreach